Re: California State Employees' Initiative

Some of us in Arizona have been following this proposed law for some time as
it seems so goes Ca. so goes Az. to some extent.  If the state employees
benifits and taxes are not counted in the equation where do the proponents of
this law think the money will come from for this or is it free? Thus where are
the savings?  Also of interest to us Az's is the fact that if this causes work
in Ca to dry up to some extent there would be a large influx of Ca architects
and engineers into Az.  I know we stick our noses in your tent too, but our
noses are a lot smaller and your tent is a lot bigger.  This law could have
far reaching effects to the surrounding states to Ca. not just within Ca even
if it is not adopted by other states.

Getting away from the protect our turf argument.  Does anyone really think
there will be the same quality of architecture and engineering inovation if
this work is done by the state via committee?  You all know the one, the don't
rock the boat, design for medioctricy (sp), and I want to go home by five with
weekends off because I took this job so I wouldn't have to work more than 40
hours a week.  Seriously, I see a huge void that would develope regarding
responsibility.  Now if an architect or engineer screws up our head gets
handed to us, we get sued and possibly loose our licience. We do not have
civil service to protect us.  Please no flame from civil servants - this is
not a condemnation but a statement of fact as I see it.

One other question -- where do all the architects and engineers come from that
will be doing all of this design?  Does the state hang out a sign "help
wanted" or is there enough staff now on board to do the work now?  If there is
why?

Mel Slaysman
mjslaysman(--nospam--at)aol.com