Bay Area Info Requested

The son of an architect client of mine is considering purchasing property in
the Moraga/Orinda area.  From what I understand, a "stream" about 50 feet
wide is running thru the property and is undercutting the bank.  His
realtor suggested that he get a geologist to evaluate the property with
regard to erosion potential.

Is this the type of work usually done by a geologist in the Bay area or would
it be a Civil/Civil or Geotechnical type of project?  Any
suggestions/comments or names that I can pass on would be appreciated.

(BTW, a running stream 50 feet wide is considered a raging river here in
Arizona!)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona