Re: Pier and grade beam foundation systems

I'll take a shot..

I would consider the drilled pier and grade beam system a "frame" if the
analysis uses any kind of fixity at the tops of piers for reduction of bending
moments. Otherwise, I'd see the piers as fixed embedded cantilevers that
transfer loads from the building (grade beam) by dowel action. This joint
however should be appropriately detailed at the pier tops to prevent (reduce?)
pulverized concrete failure by shear forces. Typically, I'd space ties closely
in this region.

A variant of this Building Department interpretation for our office was a
requirement to detail the piers as columns for shear consideration over their
length by placing ties at a maximum of d/2.

Barry H. Welliver
Draper, Utah