Re: California State Employees' Initiative

Everyone on earth should know that state monopoly will not work.  The
Soviets and the Chinese had tried it for decades and they are now
turning back to a privatized market economy.  Why are we going back to
their system?

MJSLAYSMAN wrote:

> Nigel:
>
> I did say "as I see it", however, whether I have 20/20 vision or I am blind
> the question of responsibility still has not been addressed.  Who signs the
> plans?  Who is personally responsible?  Who takes the heat if there is a
> problem?  If the public is damaged whom do they sue?  We may not like it at
> times but there is right of redress for damaged parties through the courts.
> If my little girls is hurt because of a designer's negligence can I sue the
> state?  These issues need addressing and these are only the liability issues.
> Will the state be required to show a profit?  How much of a loss can they
> operate on?  Private sector engineering firms can only operate at a loss for a
> limited time and they are out of the market.  Will the same hold true for
> public design departments?  I cannot see how this will save any money unless
> the state employees will be working with less benifits than in the private
> sector.  Softeware, computers, office space and insurances still have a cost
> even if you don't include them in the equation of how you (not you personally)
> reach the final design cost figure.
>
> I don't really know where you stand on this issue.  That is not important, but
> I wish SOMEBODY would explain this to me and take a stab at answering my
> questions.
>
> Mel Slaysman

begin:          vcard
fn:             Tom  Chiu
n:              Chiu;Tom
org:            Thomas Engineering
email;internet: Tomchiu(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net
title:          Principal, SE
tel;work:       (714) 221-3663
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE