RE: Sunroom Anchorage

This is kind of confusing. If you have a DWG file or some graphic of the
drawing that you can send, I'll take a look at it.
>From what you describe, is the Sunroom roof to be California framed (framed
above) the existing gable end?  Is the existing roof framing of the
residence a truss system, a ridgebeam or a ridgeboard with rafter ties. If
rafter tied, then the ridge has not reaction since the ridge becomes  a
"ridgeboard" for lateral bracing of the high rafters.
Possibly someone else has a better understanding of this, but I can only
help if you can email a drawing or sketch of the condition.
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish PE
La Quinta, California
wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com

ICQ# 6110557
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/6110557

"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy
for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings"  Helen Keller

-----Original Message-----
From: ken & deb reed [mailto:kendeb(--nospam--at)maxinet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 1998 5:23 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Sunroom Anchorage

I just spent hours going through STAAD-III output to get the support
reactions
for a pre-manufactured sunroom that was to attach to a house. The plan
called for
the sunroom to sit on a 22" tall pony wall around its perimeter. The roof of
the
existing house where the ridge of the sunroom ends is the tail end of gable
trusses. The plan called for fill rafters and a ridge beam from the sunroom
ridge
to the existing roof. The problem is that there is a 7200" lateral reaction
at
the end of the sunroom ridge. I could see no way to transfer this to the
foundation without dragging it back to the existing roof trusses, into a
shear
wall below, and into the foundation. This would require re-analyzing the
existing
truss, probably adding a shear wall, and installing a moment resisting
foundation.

Also, the lateral reaction from the base of the sunroom wall to the top of
the
22" pony wall causes a hinge. How can this be overcome.

Has anyone encountered this situation and found a more reasonable and less
costly
solution? I feel that I must be missing something because these sunrooms
have
been installed throughout the county and in other countries. Am I missing
something????

Thanks!

Ken Reed, CE