Subject: Re: California State Employees' Initiative
Author:  <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org> at net
Date:    4/8/98 11:18 AM

nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net wrote:

> Tom Chiu wrote:
>
> > Everyone on earth should know that state monopoly will not work.  The
> > Soviets and the Chinese had tried it for decades and they are now
> > turning back to a privatized market economy.  Why are we going back to
> > their system?
>
> Hmm.  Who built the interstate highway system?  :-)

Anyone can build the interstate highway system with taxpayer's money,
private or public. The point is that can we do it better with the same
amount of money and people.  Competition, incentives, layoff, marketing,
etc. are the key elements that keep the economy going, not expansion of
state monopoly.  We all know that there are good, highly qualified
engineers in the public sector. But how many times has one heard of
layoffs in the public sector in period of hard time, always never,
instead, taxes will be raised, budget deficit will rise.  All these
dreams will never happen in the private sector.  May be Caltran is an
exception, since the traffic flow and gasoline consumption are always
increasing( so is the tax money), rarely affected by the state of
economy.  Wouldn't that be nice if I can be assure of constant client
and job inflow to my company?