Re: California State Employees' Initiative

From: John Nichols <cejn(--nospam--at)engmail.newcastle.edu.au>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: California State Employees' Initiative

>Dear Bill,
>
>I suggest next time you are in small boat lost at sea and teh USCG comes get
>you you ask what private outfit would do it and what would they charge you.

The last "boat" I was on displaced 90,000 tons. USS Enterprise. I don't think the USCG could help much if it got in trouble.

>The next time a burglar breaks into your house call a private security firm.

I currently contract with a private security firm, thank you.

>I spent a long time in private industry they are just as good and bad as teh
>government sector.
>
>because humans is humans

And I suppose if a non-competitive environment was better, we would be doing more of it. In case you haven't heard, free enterprise is a good thing. The proposed initiative would eliminate the competition (even for QBS) which, IMO, totally ridiculous.

Regards,
Bill Allen