Re: California State Employees' Initiative

Dear Bill,

Points taken except on the Enterprise Isuspect if the Enterprise went down
and teh USCG could help I suspect they would even to standing into Harm's
Way as the expression goes.  Maybe someone on the list is in hte USCG and
could answer that hypothetical question.

I respect free enterprise I have also seen the bad sides of it.  I know
nothing about this law and frankly by the sounds of it I don't

But then again there are always going to be people who push a law even if it
is crazy.

By the way with a free enterprise government's help an Australian Co just
sacked 1400 workers on teh Docks.  The taxpayer is underwriting the
redundany payments.  The risk was to big for free enterprise or so the story
goes.  Apparantly thye used a private security firm at midnight with pepper
spray and dogs to clear ou the workers.

Have a nice weekend

At 21:08 8/04/98 -0700, you wrote:

> [...]
think the USCG could help much if it got in trouble.

>>The next time a burglar breaks into your house call a private security firm.
>
>I currently contract with a private security firm, thank you.
>>
>>I spent a long time in private industry they are just as good and bad as teh
>>government sector.
>>
>>because humans is humans
>

>And I suppose if a non-competitive environment was better, we would be
doing more of it. In case you haven't heard, free enterprise is a good
thing. The proposed initiative would eliminate the competition (even for
QBS) which, IMO, totally ridiculous.

>Regards,
>Bill Allen
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content='"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=GENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: John Nichols
>&lt;<A
>href="mailto:cejn(--nospam--at)engmail.newcastle.edu.au">cejn(--nospam--at)engmail.newcastle.edu.au</
A>&gt;<BR>To:
><A href="mailto:seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org">seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org</A> &lt;<A
>href="mailto:seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org">seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org</A>&gt;<BR>Date: Wednesday,
April
>08, 1998 8:39 PM<BR>Subject: Re: California State Employees'
>Initiative<BR><BR></DIV>
><DIV></FONT>&gt;Dear Bill,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I suggest next time you are in small
>boat lost at sea and teh USCG comes get<BR>&gt;you you ask what private outfit
>would do it and what would they charge you.</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff>The last &quot;boat&quot; I was on displaced 90,000
>tons. USS Enterprise. I don't think the USCG could help much if it got in
>trouble.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff></FONT><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;The next time a burglar breaks
>into your house call a private security firm.</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff>I currently contract with a private security firm,
>thank you.</FONT><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I spent a long time in private industry they
>are just as good and bad as teh<BR>&gt;government
sector.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;because