Re: Insurance questions

Norb,

I agree thoroughly with you regarding the seismic zonation interpretation.  I
design in Arizona to Seismic Zone 2B (minimum) with a minimum 10% g and
fought to have Southern Arizona zoned to 2B, compromised to 2A, after the
1985 map changed most of Arizona from zone 2 to 1.  It should be remembered
that the Algermissen Perkins seismic maps were based on pure probability
modified by political input instead of historic seismicity.  It should also
be remembered that the Algermissen Perkins seismic map reflect accelerations
1/4 of the accelerations that a seismic event could produce  A later modified
map shows accelerations of 3.6 g in California where it previously showed
0.9g.  The previous Algermissen map (1971), based on historic seismicity, was
in pre-1985 UBC's.  Probability works only for gamblers and abstract
mathematicians, not structural engineers.

I also agree with you on your advice to Kate.  She would be hanging herself
out on a line if she agreed to what her client wants.

BTW, I also have [Mosaic] Twin.  Lotus was so afraid of it, that it sued and
won.  It seemed that Twin's screen looked a lot like 1-2-3's.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona