RE: ASCE Guidelines for Seismic Evaluation and Design of Petrochemical Facilities

There is a certain amount of justifiable resistance to updating industry standards right now for the 1997 UBC.  This is due to the fact that as soon as you are comfortable with the 1997 UBC and make the appropriate revisions, we will be entering into the unknown world of the IBC (April 2000) which will be based on the 1997 NEHRP.  I have seen the beast, and I know fear!

Seriously, it is a well researched document, but there are some major changes heading our way.  The biggest change will be the new maps and the methodology for taking the seismic spectral ordinates and converting them to a base shear.  These changes will be painful.  My advice would be to get a copy of the 1997 NEHRP ASAP.  A couple of the people on the ASCE committee were also in the loop on the NEHRP.  (Frank Hsiu and Leo Bragagnalo)  The appendix in the "Nonbuilding Structures" chapter was an attempt to bridge the gap.

Harold Sprague
hsprague(--nospam--at)klaalov.com