RE: Code Question

Thanks to Roger Turk, Bill Sherman and Norb Volny for their responses.  We often look to the UBC code as the all knowing answer book to all possible structural engineering questions.  But it is written by people that often ask the same questions we all ask.

As with all engineering, a fair amount of horse sense and judiciously applied overkill is required to be a prudent engineer.  I would advise anyone designing for seismic anywhere in the US to visit the USGS web site (http://gldage.cr.usgs.gov/eq/html/zipcode.shtml) and check the seismicity for the site zip code.  It is enlightening, easy, and cheap (free your tax dollars already paid for it); although my particular site was not listed.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
Hsprague(--nospam--at)klaalov.com

<<application/ms-tnef>>