pier and grade beam foundation

To all:

Well I appreciate every one response, however I think I found at least a
partial solution to the issue. In section 302.2.2 (page 68) of the 1996
SEOAC blue Book there are some guidelines regarding the design of a pier and
grade beam type system.
I'm still not sure what to do about all the soils engineers that recommend
a minimum of a twelve inch pier with four number four bars and a minimal
amount of tie spacing. (12" o.c.)
These recommendations due appear to be in violation of both codes.
These recommendations appear to be in conflict with chapter 18, 19 of the
uniform building code and with regards to the above referenced section of
the Blue Book.
Still for a lightly loaded wood frame structure, I am not convinced the
amount of tie spacing required by the code is appropriate. But with seismic
forces better to be safe, and the requirements are less restrictive than the
UBC.
I guess there is still some debate with in the committee about the exact
nature of the concrete to soil interaction.
John Buchanan
Santa Cruz CA