Re: WOOD MOMENT FRAMES

Subject: WOOD MOMENT FRAMES

>I HAVE A CLIENT WHO WANTS TO USE A WOOD BEAM IN CONJUNCTION WITH STEEL COLUMNS
>TO CREATE A MOMENT FRAME. THIS IS RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION IS SEISMIC ZONE 2.
>I AM VERY HESITANT DUE TO:

Your main concern will be to ensure adequate ductility in the frame.  Do you want the ductility to be taken out in the beam, column or connection?  The examples I have seen of timber/steel frame attempts have resulted in large connection details (to carry all the bolts!) which by their nature will probably not have the ductility required.  If you manage to make it work I suggest the use of connectors like GLULAM rivets which will not require that much workskill by the carpenters and may give you the ductility you require.

Thor Tandy  P.Eng
Victoria  BC