FWd: Elsalvador needs your help

Recently I got this email. Please help the author if you can. Please send
response directly to the author at cfjohnso(--nospam--at)usia.gov . Please DO NOT reply
to the list since the author is NOT subscribed to our list server.

Thank you.

Shafat Qazi.

********* Begin Forwarded Message ***********************
Dear Mr. Qazi:
I conducted a search on the World Wide Web for structural engineers
associations and found your organization listed among the 86 sites.  As
Public Affairs Officer at the US Embassy in El Salvador, I oversee
educational and cultural programs, as well as the Embassy's media
relations.   Recently, a local university asked for assistance with a
possible academic exchange.  That is the reason for sending this e-mail
message.

Background:  El Salvador suffered a devastating earthquake in 1986.
There are a number of buildings which are still suffering the effects of
that event.  Some of them are on the campus of the University of El
Salvador.  Recently, I was talking to officials at the university and
they asked about the possibility of identifying structural engineering
professors with earthquake experience who might be interested in teaching
in El Salvador for a brief time.   Since the University of Salvador could
not fund such an exchange, the person would have to apply either for a
Fulbright Lecturer grant or identify some other source which would
finance travel and living expenses.   At a loss as to where to begin
finding such a person, I turned to the WWW.  In addition to the
aforementioned qualifications, the person would need to be fluent in
Spanish.

Assistance Requested:  Are any of SEAOC's members serving as faculty at
universities as well?   Would any of them be interested in such a
exchange opportunity?   Could you direct me to a more appropriate
organization if yours does not normally become involved in these types of
activities?  Are there any professional engineering organizations which
routinely support exchanges of this nature?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to review this message.  I
look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Cynthia
**********************************
Cynthia Farrell Johnson