Re: California State Employees' Initiative

>>History also abounds with cases of large firms abusing their position if
allowed unrestrained access to markets.  Check out the "robber baron"
period at the end of the last century for more details.  That's the period
that led to the anti-trust legislation passed during T. Roosevelt's
administration<<

Actually if you go back and research that period you will see that the
Robber Barons (in particular the Big Four: Stanford, Huntington, Crocker
and Hopkins) abused power by buying Legislators and GETTING THEM TO PASS
LAWS OUTLAWING COMPETITION. That is not a free market. That is a regulated
market.

There is a good book on the subject called "The Incredible Bread Machine".
I can't remember the authors' names but I probably have it around here
somewhere if anyone cares.

Kate O'Brien
Simi Valley, CA