Re: WOOD MOMENT FRAMES, Rw = 3

Bill -

Thanks for the repsonse.  I, too, feel that the Rw=3 for the rest of the
building, or at least that direction, is excessive.  I will adopt the City's
shrug method and design accordingly.  Personally, I think it would be clearer
if the Code left Rw=6 for cantilvered columns, and then added a note in the
text saying that cantlivered column systems should be designed for twice the
calculated load.  (This is similar to masonry shear walls, which are designed
for 1.5 times the calculated load).  This would eliminate the Rw=3 problem for
the building, yet still give the desired design results for the cantilevered
columns.  The Code could then explicitly deal with the question of whether or
not the doubled load also applies to the footing design and to the drift
design.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.