Re: Cold formed sections

Anil Kumar wrote:

>Please advise in which areas cold formed sections should be used for
constructions.  Are there any restrictions where it should not be used.
Does
small thicknesses affect the overall life of the structure.  <

I would be reluctant to use gage metal for structural framing in a corrosive
atmosphere, since even a small amount of corrosion would affect structural
properties.  For secondary members, I would use galvanized steel with a
specified minimum thickness for cold formed steel in mild applications or
stainless steel in more corrosive applications (if I used cold-formed at
all).