Food for thought

I went to a Doctor the other day to see about getting a deviated septum
repaired.  We went over the procedure with explanations on what would
happen and the benefits of making the repairs.  I was now ready to make the
appointment and go through with the operation.

However, I was then sent to a person to discuss money and liability.
During this process I was suppose to sign a waiver of liability which
basically stated that if the procedure did not work, too bad.  I wouldn't
even get my money back.

So, I was just thinking.  Why couldn't we do that?  Just have our clients
sign a waiver stating that if a building had a structural failure, then too
bad, it just wasn't ment to be.

Of course I know that this is unethical, impractical, bad for business and
the profession, etc.  But how come the medical profession can get away with
this type of treatment?  I understand that there is a lot of lawsuits filed
against physicians, but there are a lot of lawsuits filed against engineers
as well.  I just believe that if you say you are going to provide a
service, you provide that service.

Maybe I'm just missing something.