Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Unlicensed Practice

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

You can report your suspicions/file a complaint to:

Board Of Registration For Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 300
Sacramento, CA 95833-2926
Telephone:(916) 263-2222
FAX: (916) 263-2246

Quoted from the BORPELS website ( ):

"The Board has the authority to investigate complaints of violations of the
Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors Acts, such as failure
to complete a contract, misrepresentation, fraud, incompetence and/or
negligence, practicing without a license, or failure to record a survey

"Disciplinary actions include, but are not limited to, suspending
registrations or licenses, revoking registrations or licenses,
administrative citations, and referral to the district attorney for criminal

The website has clear instruction for filing a complaint.

Brent Koch, P.E.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Brown [mailto:aplus(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 1998 11:29 AM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: UBC-97 Table 16-N

Dear Engineers
I am a licensed architect who lives in another state but which was born and
raised in Southern California. I am aware of a situation that I believe
needs to be brought to the attention of your licensing authority in
California. I tried to get their number via the operator but they could not
find it.
I thought I would ask you who to talk to, since the problem is with a person
that claims to be an architect and an engineer. He is neither. He has never
been licensed but has a corporation and claims to have people on staff
(which he does not) he works from his house. He does hire an engineer to
stamp his plans when a stamp is required and the engineer does do the
engineering. but the facts are that this person draws all of the plans and
the engineering is not real complete. I told this person to stop his actions
several years ago and he did briefly. I just found out, He has since started
advertising again under architects and if you call his number he claims to
be architects and engineers. As a licensed architect I believe it is my
responsibility to reveal situations like this as I feel it is a danger to
the publics safety not to mention illegal. Since I have given him warning
and he chooses to ignore me I want to make sure that he is punished and does
not recieve another slap on the hand because he got away with this once
before. This is the kind of flimflam man that gives architects and engineers
a bad name not to mention we have to compete against him. please let me know
what you think is the best way to handle the problem and who I should