From: BVeit +ADw-BVeit+AEA-aol.com+AD4-
To: seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org +ADw-seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org+AD4-
Date: Thursday, April 16, 1998 11:00 AM
Subject: 25+ACU- snow load is Conservative

+AD4-I know not many people deal with lateral forces due to large snow loads,
but
+AD4-those of who do might find this interesting.
+AD4-
+AD4-You can imagine the enormous lateral loads if you were to count even part
of a
+AD4-400psf snow load toward seismic.
+AD4-
+AD4-Compounding this, the code is unclear on how much snow load to count toward
+AD4-seismic in heavy snow country.  It says, at the discretion of the building
+AD4-official, the amount of snow counted toward seismic may be reduced to 25+ACU-.
+AD4-
+AD4-Some counties have chosen to go big, such as Placer Co +AEA- 1/3rd and Amador
Co
+AD4-(kirkwood) +AEA- 1/2+ACE-  In addition, the snow loads in these areas are routinely
+AD4-above 300 psf.
+AD4-
+AD4-As someone has said previously (Lew Midlam?) Where are the bodies?
+AD4-
+AD4-A recent article in ICBO Bld. Standards, Mar-April '98, clearly, rationally
+AD4-articulates why 25+ACU- of snow is CONSERVATIVE.  It's all Stats 101.
+AD4-
+AD4-So if there are any code authors out there, how about addressing this in
2000?
+AD4-
+AD4-Brian Veit, P.E.