Plywood Diaphragms

I have an existing building (cerca 1945) with a wood roof, but no ligitamite
diaphragm. The structure is in Seismic 2. We are remodeling this structure and
need to bring it up to code. We are adding a plywood diaphragm on top of the
existing framing.

The contractor wants to leave the existing roofing (1/2" thick roofing) in
place. I am looking for opinions on increasing the nail size and allowing them
to do this. The plywood will not carry any gravity loads. Has anyone seen any
pullover problems or anything else which may suggest problems with this?

Thanks

Richard Dahlmann, P.E.