Roof Retro-fit

Hello all,

Has any one had any experience with roof retro-fits.  I have a building
that is framed with 14 ga Zee purlins with a corrugated metal deck and
then a foam roofing material (one architect told me it was a polyurethane
 spray on foam that was marketed a while back and obviously did not
perform well.)  What the architect wants to do is come in with hat
channels mechanically attached to the purlins with standing seam roof on
top (Batten Lok by MBCI).  One concern I have is the 1" thick layer of
foam on top.  Can I just use self drilling screws and fasten through the
foam down to the purlin?  Any other ideas or concerns?  We would like to
leave the foam in place because of the cost of removing the foam.

Thanks,

Mike Zaitz