Re: Tornadoes

> Date:          Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:23:15 -0700
> From:          Michael D Zaitz <mzaitz(--nospam--at)surfsouth.com>
> To:            seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject:       Re: Tornadoes

>Are there any case studies published for the effect of high winds on
> Metal Buildings?  It seems that there is information out there on Andrew
> and its effect on houses/ moble homes but I have not found any
> information published on metal buildings.  Wonder why?
>
> Mike

An article in the March 1993 ASCE News, after H. Andrew, reported a
planned  Dec 93 ASCE conference entirely devoted to lessons learned
from H. Iniki and Andrew.  Check the ASCE web site for papers.

FWIW: The same article reported that a Dade County committee
recommended the following changes to the South Florida Building Code
requirements for pre-engineered bldgs:

1. elminate cables as tension members
2. use min 24 ga siding
3. provide "lateral and cross-bracing for roofs and walls" (eh?)

It would be interesting to know whether these recommendations were
codified and, if so, the language that was used.

Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.