Re: Food for thought

>Whoa!  bad day, or what?
Naw. Seems to me that the same principles that determine engineer's pay
vis a vis that of doctors (or what we imagine doctors get paid) determine
why pipe fitters earn less than marketing executives. Pure supply and
demand doesn't explain it--I'd bet that society demands leakproof pipes
more than advertising jingles. Seems to me that if you're concerned about
getting more money (and broader issues), you might want to start thinking
about what creates the demand that makes people with money want to spend
it.

You might also want to think about why the thread started comparing
engineering pay scales with those of doctors, and not, say, lawyers or
insurance salesman, who make just as much money. I wonder if there's an
element of perceived respect here that mixes the pay scale issue with a
little professional envy. Maybe if I could go to a cocktail party and
have strangers standing in line to introduce themselves and ask me about
the buckling of cylindrical shells, comparative pay scales wouldn't seem
so important. Or if my mother referred to 'my son the mechanical
engineer,' instead of, 'I think he does something with machinery, but
don't ask me what.' Maybe a TV program called 'Design Office,' featuring
people in flannel shirts and dockers working against project deadlines to
craft ever more elegant finite element models.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw