Roof Retro-fit

Mike,

Virtually all of the metal building manufacturers, including MBCI, offer
retrofit metal roofs and provide the engineering along with their
proprietary retrofit roofs.  (It says something about pre-engineered metal
buildings, doesn't it.)  The latest issue of Metal Architecture or Metal
Construction News (pubs of the metal building industry) devoted the entire
issue to retrofit roofs.  I threw my copy out the other day, but any metal
building supplier should be able to get you a copy.

The problem that I have run into with retrofit roofs is that the original
building is designed down to the "gnat's eyebrow" and cannot usually support
additional DL without seriously encroaching into the live load capacity.

I would not install *any* structural support on foam roofing.  There will be
so many penetrations of the foam that it will be easier to remove the foam
than to cut penetrations.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona