Re: General Business

Bill, that's always the cases for one man office, either too busy or not
busy. There is really no such a thing as 40 hour-week anymore. I would
handle it this way.  Work 90 hours a week if you have to, only turn down
works that are, say bad client, super rush jobs etc. and sub out the
drafting work.  Why, because you never know when the work will slow down
and be regret.  When you get to the point that you get burned out and
can't take it anymore, refer work to others.  Prepare to go golfing or
fishing when things slow down.  That has been the way I handle it for
years.

Tom Chiu, SE

> Bill Allen, S.E. wrote:
>
> I've got a hypothetical question to throw out.
>
> I have been getting really busy. I currently am a one man office
> working out of my home although I've got an executive office to answer
> my phones and receive my mail. My "traditional" thinking with regards
> to all of this work has given me three options:
>
>   1. Work 80 hours a week.
>   2. Turn the work down.
>   3. Expand my office and hire staff.
>
> Option 1 is O.K. on a short term basis, but I will get burned out.
>
> Option 2 is O.K. except I hate missing opportunities ($).
>
> Option 3 is not O.K. (been there; done that).
>
> If anyone has any general or specific comments, I would be interested
> in hearing them. My needs would be both engineering and CADD.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
begin:          vcard
fn:             Tom  Chiu
n:              Chiu;Tom
org:            Thomas Engineering
email;internet: Tomchiu(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net
title:          Principal, SE
tel;work:       (714) 221-3663
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE