Re: General Business

I have long held that being "too busy" is a huge sign that your rates are
too low.  Whenever I have raised my rates, only the lowest quality
clients have departed.  This leaves me with all the work I can reasonably
handle, more income, and a reputation for being desirable "when it's
really important".  Further, I no longer have to deal with the clients
who waste my time, argue about everything, make unuthorized changes in
the field, and generally think they know more than I do about SE.
Ideally, I want my clients to return with the attitude that I am "not the
lowest rates", but overall the greatest value.  Better yet are those who
return because they no longer trust the quality of the "low priced" guys.
   It looks like Bill is in a potential win-win situation here.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com

>How about option 4: raise your rates (don't forget supply and demand).
>
>Pricing of any product or service is always a bit tricky, but raising
>your
>rates will make some work go elsewhere and leave you with possibly
>more money
>overall for the remaining hours (and probably the better clients and
>more
>interesting work).
>
>With all the productivity gains resulting from office automation,
>internet,
>etc. you're certainly delivering more value per hour and your rates
>should
>reflect that.
>
>Bruce Bates
>RISA Technologies

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]