Re: Accreditation of Inspection Agencies

I agree 100% that there is a conflict of interest when testing and inspection
services are paid for by the contractor.  This occurs in a small percentage of
our projects.  (Although it seems to be the case for all Federal (GSA)
projects.  This section of the building code is not always enforced by the
local jurisdiction.  I have seen many project specifications that are quite
specific as to who will pay for inspection (the owner, usually.)  Perhaps with
the backing of the Structural Engineer and Architect this conflict can be
minimized.

I do not think any conflict of interest exists when testing and inspection are
performed by the same organization.

James E. Parker, P. E.

(not anonymous!)