Re: Plywood Diaphragms

  Sounds like a lousy idea to me.  I have some experience in testing
plywood wall shear panels and will shortly be doing some testing of
plywood roof diaphragms.  From what I've seen, the real shear strength of
a panel is largely a function of the nails.  If you drive longer nails
through a half an inch of roofing that roofing material has no stiffness,
so when the panel starts to rack the nails will easily bend and there goes
the shear value of your diaphragm, straight through the proverbial floor.

  Daniel Del Car
  EIT,GBC
  University of California Irvine