RE: Tornadoes

For interest, there is research currently underway, funded by FEMA, to develop
in-residence tornado resistant shelters. These would be suitable for any
residence subject to hurricane strength winds, but would not, however, be
intended for coastal structures subject to flooding. The work is being done
through Greenhorne & O'Mara with the basic R&D subcontracted to Texas Tech
University. The first report, with design recommendations, is due to be
published during this summer. Due to the recent disasters, I also understand
that a conference (limited attendance) has been convened for this week in
Atlanta, Georgia to discuss mitigation and response to tornadoes. If anyone
would like further information, please E-mail me at James.Cohen(--nospam--at)fema.gov.

As part of the PIM (Partners in Mitigation) fellowship, I am assisting in
review of the designs and report. The PIM Fellow also includes development of
prioritized recommendations for future wind engineering research. Input from
this listserve is welcomed. Please direct any suggestions to both the FEMA and
private E-mail, given below.

James Cohen, PE
PIM (Partners in Mitigation) Fellow, FEMA
c/o James Cohen Consulting, P.C.
PO Box 130
Pennington, New Jersey 08534
Tel: 609-730-0510