STL: Coped/Blocked Connection

This is another one of those nagging questions that bug me since I can't seem
to find a  definitive answer. While detailing steel beam connections in the
past, I invariably stated that the top or bottom(or both) of the supported
member shall be "coped". While recently reviewing the AISC's "Engineering For
Steel Connections", I noticed that the connections detailed throughout were
indicated as either "coped", "blocked" or "cut". Is there a difference among
these fabrication procedures or is it a matter of semantics?

Thanks,

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD