That was another week in general busines

John Nichols wrote:

. > Try one of those big ones on the New Madrid fault line and St Louis or
. > Memphis will probably resemble a junk yard.  And the death count will
. > probably be horrific, if Spitak and Tashkent are anything to go by.  The
. > attentuation rate is also a significant problem, so it will be felt
. > everywhere.  i believe the Insurance Co's call it Aremgeddon ie they are
. > all broke!

John,

Unfortunately (or, fortunately for the insurance companies) earthquakes are
excluded from coverage in the ordinary insurance policy as is earth
movement.  While some insurance companies outside of California do offer an
earthquake endorsement, it is expensive, $7.00 per $1,000 valuation here in
Arizona.  The deductible (5% or 10%) is a percent of building valuation, not
cost of repairs, which makes it even more expensive.

I agree with you, that St. Louis and Memphis would resemble a pile of junk
when the New Madrid fault lets go again, but they aren't the only cities that
are in that position.  Unfortunately, people are burying their heads in the
sand and when that happens, they will never know who is kicking their butt.

Several years ago, I had an engineer from the Memphis area tell me that the
cost of earthquake design would raise the cost of construction in the Memphis
area too much and it would be politically unattainable.  Ironically, the
engineer that argued this line was, at that time, editor of EERI's
"Earthquake Spectra."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

P.S.  Tell Michelle to look at Compuserve.  Although it is now owned by AOL,
AOL has said that it will keep it separate from their AOL online service.  I
would imagine that it is available in Australia.