Re: Food for thought

At 17:51 4/19/98 -0700, Bill Allen wrote:
>The California Building Code is the version of the UBC required for the
>design of schools and hospitals. These projects require, among other things,
>submission to the Division of the State Architect, Testing & Inspection and,
>of course, structural plans and engineering prepared by a licensed S.E.
>
>Now do you see how this would affect supply and demand?
>
>Regards,
>Bill Allen

[Bill Cain]  Not Exactly.  The California Building Code is basically the
Uniform Building Code adopted by the State with modifications.  These
modifications vary by which state deparment has jurisdiction.  There entire
adoption becomes the building code for each jurisdiction in Cailifornia IF
the local agency does not adopt the UBC within 6 months of when the State
adopts it.  Within the 6 month window following State adoption, cities and
counties can adopt their own version including their own amendments and
requirements.  Departments such as DSA, HUD, OSPHD, etc. have additional
requirements that amend the basic adoption and these are what many people
refer to as the California Building Code. However, the California Building
Code is actually ALL of what the State adopts including the basic UBC, the
ammendments and the application matrices which describe the special rules
put forth in the amendments (e.g., DSA, HUD, OSHPD, Etc.).

If the adoption were changed to be the more restrictive versions
promulagted by DSA and OSHPD with all the T&I requirements, safer
structures would result, demand would outstrip supply and the building
owners would get the code changed in the next cycle to allow them to
cheap-cheap their projects.

BILL CAIN, SE
OAKLAND, CA