RE: Tornadoes

This is very similar to the Enhanced Tornado Protection Areas (ETPA) proposed several years ago for schools.  Texas Tech was also involved in the recommendations for ETPA's.  One of the primary concerns aside from the obvious direct wind pressures was wind borne missile impact.

Again, very few engineers design or recommend ETPA's because the code does not require them.  That is unfortunate:
1. Because the wind provisions of the code are not as developed as the seismic sections.
2. Many engineers only design what is code mandated.

Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.