RE: That was another week in general busines

I have a rather extensive collection of information on the New Madrid seismic zone.  One of the more interesting books is "The New Madrid Earthquakes" by Penick.  Note that the word "earthquakes" is plural.  During the 1811 to 1812 time period, over 1,800 quakes were recorded in Nashville, TN.  On the MMI scale, 3 of the quakes were larger than the 1906 great earthquake of San Francisco.  The MMI VII area of the New Madrid event was 20 times larger than the San Francisco quake. The December 1811 quake was felt by people (MMI V or greater) over a 965,000 square mile area.

By the way, the effect in St. Louis would be great but spotty due to the local geology, but you are right about Memphis.  Memphis would get hammered. Their new pyramid stadium sets on Mud Island (appropriately named) and is designed for seismic zone 0 (requirement of the City).  Some islands in the Mississippi totally disappeared in the 1811 event.

I'm glad I moved to Colorado.  Talk about full employment for structural engineers.

Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.