Re: Snow Load

Sleiman Serhal wrote:

> Since the subject was brought up, I thought I would hop in. Are there
> any rules of thumb to estimate the snow load from the snow height,
> taking into consideration that part of this snow stacks up as ice at the
> bottom, especially in places where the temperatures fluctuate
> significantly about the freezing point ?
>
> For those who wonder about high snow loads, I've seen snow heights of
> about 20 feet, especially below roads where the snow plow keeps shoving
> the snow down stacking up with time to these huge heights. Below these
> roads you'll often find roofs taking up all this load.
>
> Thanks,
> Moni Serhal

July 1995 Structural Engineers Association of Washington published Snow Load
Analysis for Washington. (email seaw(--nospam--at)seaw.org or Write to SEAW P.O. Box 4250
Seattle, WA  98104 sorry I don't have the price)  In the publication it
discusses snow density relationships.  Some references include National
Building Code of Canada 1970, Rocky Mountain Conversion Density by the
University of Idaho 1986, 1994 UBC and ASCE 7.

It was determined that the record snowfall in Yakima County during the
1996-1997 winter seemed to follow the Rocky Mountain Conversion Density.  I
have heard that in the Western Washington areas that during the same time
frame the Rocky Mountain Coversion Density was not conservative for actual
densities.

I hope this helps.

Jill T. Shuttleworth, P.E., S.E.
Sunnyside, WA