Re: Power Spectrum

The best place to start is with the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of
America thye have a web site but i dinna have the URL.

Nakamura's articles from the QR RTRI of Japan also on web are interesting.

One can undertake a FFT which provides useful information or use the SDOF
operator to get and equivalent spectum.

McCue and the other Australian seiemologists have done work on microtremors
in Oz.  Most of it is published look in Australian Earthquake Society
publications etc.

The best books on this FFT maths is the two by
Brigham, E.O.,
" The Fast Fourier Transform"
Prentice-Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, NJ. 1974 pp252

and the applications text.

I have been playing with this as part of my masonry research.  It is easiest
to understand if you visualize it as a series of sequential filters.  The
difficlty with microtremors is that there energy spectrum may not filter to
the same results as an distant earthquake.  Atkinson;s 95 article on the
Cascadia region is superb on this.  (BSSA)  Then again no two earthquake
filter alike.  The key point to watch for is the Jericho Syndrome :: Tuned
buildings that match the power source.

Good luck

John Nichols