Re: European Engineering Standards

Interesting post! I have recently worked on three projects in the EC. The
approvals that were received on the projects were standard approvals for the
entire EC. The calculations addressed a standard structure and was submitted
to an agency in France, checked in France and the approval issued in France
for the entire EC.

All of my calculations were done in Mathcad format. Very neat and of course,
accurate. However, garbage in always yeilds, garbage out. I did not have any
comments or corrections and the projects were all approved in rather quick
fashion. It is rather scary to consider that the French officials might have
simply been clerks and not engineers.

The company I worked for submitted the plans (done by them and reviewed by me)
together with my calculations. I never spoke to anyone from France so could
not really know whether they were engineers or clerks. The calculations were
done in columnar fashion giving standard American units and also metric units.
Hard for me to believe that there was not one question, not one remark, not
one small comment.

I have only had four other instances of submitting major plans to a local
jurisdiction in Southern California in my entire career where there were
absolutely no corrections (Other than sign the application and put the site
plan on the back of the application). This pushes the number to seven. Now I
won't sleep too well until I can stop thinking about some French clerk simply
rubber stamping my work. The implications are not funny. I would rather have a
rigorous plan checking procedure, rather than what I expect may not have been.
Then again, the calculations were accurate and so ...... why not?

John Ott