RE: SLAB - Control Joints in Concrete Slab on Grade

How do you achieve top (3/4") and bottom (3") clearance of the
reinforcing with a 4" slab?  I've always gone to a 5" slab when using
reinforcing.  Often times the client is not willing to pay for this and
I've been pushed back to using a 4" slab with wwf (even though we know
clearance was not maintained here either!).
Bob Germaine PE