Re: ICBO Seminar for 1997 UBC Earthquake Regulations

This an example of how we neglect the boundary effects of diaphragms.  At a recent seminar it was demonstrated that depending on all aspects such as wall material, shape, diaphragm alignment etc the loads to the walls can change dramatically.  I no longer think that it is a matter of "good judgement".  There is software that will include boundary conditions.  "Good judgement" will check if the computer data is sensible or not.

Thor Tandy
Victoria BC

Subject: Re: ICBO Seminar for 1997 UBC Earthquake Regulations