Re: SLAB - Control Joints in Concrete Slab on Grade

Germaine, Bob/CVO wrote:

> How do you achieve top (3/4") and bottom (3") clearance of the
> reinforcing with a 4" slab?  I've always gone to a 5" slab when using
> reinforcing.  Often times the client is not willing to pay for this and
> I've been pushed back to using a 4" slab with wwf (even though we know
> clearance was not maintained here either!).
> Bob Germaine PE

The 3" bottom clearance is required by ACI 318 for reinforced concrete
structures.  Slabs on grade are typically not structural and are not
normally required to meet ACI 318 requirements.  I typically center the
reinforcement in a 4" slab and place the reinforcement 2" clear of the
top in 5+" slabs.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.