From: T [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 1998 9:25 AM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: ICBO Seminar for 1997 UBC Earthquake Regulations

This an example of how we neglect the boundary effects of diaphragms.  At a
recent seminar it was demonstrated that depending on all aspects such as
wall material, shape, diaphragm alignment etc the loads to the walls can
change dramatically.  I no longer think that it is a matter of "good
judgement".  There is software that will include boundary conditions.  "Good
judgement" will check if the computer data is sensible or not.

Thor Tandy
Victoria BC