Re: Tilt-Up Retrofit: Need some information

Dennis -

As I understand it, the tilt-up retrofit ordinance (LA County Division 95)
requires anchorage of the walls to the diaphragm, as well as providing
continuity ties across the building and some special details at the pilasters
and any reentrant corners.  The ordinance does not require any checking of the
existing walls for out-of-plane loads causing bending in the panels, or in-
plane loads causing shear and overturning.  I can probably find a copy of the
ordinance to fax you if you send me your fax number.

Regarding older reinforced masonry buildings with wood roofs, we are currently
doing major t.i. work in 2 such buildings in LA County.  As such, I had a
conversation with an LA County building official regarding the retrofit
requirement for these types of buildings, and he said that no such
requirements exist.

Regarding fees for these projects - you have to look at the building to
determine how many different conditions you will have to detail.  Also, having
existing drawings helps, too.  Be clear on your scope of work regarding as-
builts, plan submittal, etc.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.