Re: SLAB - Control Joints in Concrete Slab on Grade

Unless you are designing a structural slab(i.e. mat slab, waffle etc), UBC and
ACI, to the best of my knowledge, dont  restrict the 3" clear.  Steel is
primarily intended to minimize potential shrinkage cracks.  In a perfect world
with perfect aggregate, with perfect w/c ratios, with perfect temperatures,
with perfect workmanship, etc etc etc, concrete cracks might be seen only with
a microscope.  I too have seen results where large cracks and displacements
were present when only fiber mesh was used.  The underlying soil was not
expansive, and threfore, soil consolidation  below the bearing wall footings
due to long term loads may have been the cause. Slabs had to be replaced.