Re: Tilt-up alterations

On my jobs, I always use square steel tube columnson each side of the opening
and rectangular steel tube beams, same width as the column, above the opening,
on the inside face of the wall, about 6 to 12 inches from the edge of the
opening.I weld a short steel angle to the columns and beam and use 'Redhead'
wedge anchor at the angles to the wall.

I design the beam for DL of the roof and wall above the opening.+ wind or
seismic load (or DL+ LL, whichever governs). And the column for the reaction
of the beam plus a foot tributary width of the edge of the wall opening(again
for 2 laoding cases). I design the connection for the combination of tension
and shear .

A bit conservative but at least, I can sleep soundly.

Ernie Natividad