Re: ICBO Seminar for 1997 UBC Earthquake Regulations

Dennis,

My response was to the discussion on what R factor to use for different element configurations and mixtures thereof.  Some postings were advocating flexible diaphragm assumptions, others using stiff diaphragm etc or some hybrid assumption.  I had just attended a seismic design seminar where John Pao P.Eng of Bogdonov Pao & Assoc of Vancouver  BC presented the results of analyses (single story box-type structures) he carried out taking into account the diaphragm stiffness and associated boundary conditions.  He found that a number of structure type-mixtures resulted in wall loads differing significantly from loads calculated by the simplistic tributary area or stiff diaphragm assumptions ie "engineering judgement".

Thor Tandy