Re: Re: COMP Woodworks

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
I find it pretty remarkable that no one that responded or anyone I know uses
the "concept" mode. Does it really take longer to define the geometry than
to (separately) define the loads for each and every beam?

Thanks,
Bill

I used it several years ago and it was very awkward.  I used it on a two
story dormitory type structure with a post and beam foundation.  If memory
serves me correctly I had problems with lack of memory (the computers, not
mine).  I couldn't fit the whole structure in at one time but had to break it
into 1/4 areas do to programs limits, not my computers memory.  Also, the
first floor beams were carrying first and second floor loads.  There was no
provision for live load reduction so I had to run all 4 areas twice.  The
first to size the joists and the second to size the beams.  Plus, as I
recall, we had to make a lot of load types for different areas.  Say I had an
area of 40psf with a span of 10 ft. and 14 ft.  If I didn't put them into
different load types then I got one result which was the 14 ft. span.  I
ended up with quite a few loading patterns which were identical, except that
the joist spans differed.  It took a lot of time to do this.  I was using
V1.0C.  I don't know if how it has been upgraded.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org