Re: PECG Initiative-Proposition 224

At 06:30 4/24/98 EDT, SEAOCC <SEAOCC(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:
>April 1998
>
>SEAOC PLAN REVIEW - EXTRA EDITION
>
>PROPOSITION 224 ALERT!
>
>The campaign to defeat Proposition 224 will be intensifying over the next few
>months and weeks before the June 2nd election.  Indications are that members
>of the design community have not as yet acknowledged the negative impact on
>every engineer, architect, and design professional in private practice in
>California if this initiative passes.
>
>We need to make every effort to get the word out, Proposition 224 must be
>defeated! ....>

[Bill Cain]  Remember that the impact on every engineer, architect, and
design professional in private practice in
>California is not what the voters give a @%$* about.  The impacts on the
average voter (delays in projects for schools, parks, highways, jails,
etc.), increased costs (higher financing costs, inflation, etc.)  because
of the delays and the larger chance to create "pork barrel" projects by
politicians (I get to criticize politicians because I am one :<)   ) mean
far more to the general public than what they see, right or wrong, as
impacts to "fat cat consultants".

To paraphrase a recent Presidental campaign (Bill Allen's favorite
candidate ;<)  ):
It's the impact on the voters, stupid.

BILL CAIN, SE
OAKLAND, CA