RE: seaoc Digest for 26 Apr 1998

To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
From:	"K. Hemmatyar" <kch(--nospam--at)ultranet.ca>
Subject:	Granite's Modulus of Elasticity

1.	Does any one know what is the Granite's Modulus of elasticity (roughly)
or where can I get it? (it is Sunday!)
2.	Question: Modulus of Elastisity and Young's Modulus is the same but does
"Modulus of Rupture" refer to the same property?

Thanks
K. Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)
Vancouver, B.C.

The typical E value for granite is of the order of 40 Gpa. I have forgotten
how to convert this to medieval units ie psi etc but it is 20 % of the E
value for mild steel.
The Modulus of Rupture is the ultimate ie. Brittle strength of a slab under
flexural stress and typically is of the order of 10 Mpa ie about 1/3 of the
compressive strength of typical structural concrete.

Allan Hickey
Brisbane Australia

PS I just realised you are in Canada and I apologise for my superior
attitude to the imperial system