Column leveling plates

I have a question regarding the use of leveling plates under column bases.  Our office typically does not allow the use of leveling plates.  The concern is that the leveling plate may not be perfectly flat, and the column base plate will not be in full contact.  Most of the buildings we do are in the 3-4 story range.

Naturally the contractor for our current project wants to use leveling plates.

Does anyone have an opinion on leveling plates?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry King, PE
Sverdrup Facilities, Inc.